NFL Week 1 is officially in the books. Let’s take a look at what went down during the opening of the 2015 NFL season.
QB’s are always the golden guys of football. But in week 1, from rookies to established vets, the quarterback got it done. In the Thursday night season opener, Tom Brady was fresh from being cleared of his “deflategate” suspension reminded fans that the “Patriots way” us winning. #2 draft pick Marcus Mariota made his debut Titans debut against the #1 draft pick, Jameis Winston and the Bucs. Mariota had a perfect game, throwing 2 touchdowns in the first quarter and four in the first half.
- Johnny Manziel finally connected for his first NFL touchdown during Browns vs. Jets
- The Dallas Cowboys came up with a last second victory thanks to the quick thinking of Tony Romo, who spotted Jason Whitten for the 27-26 victory over the Giants.
- The Buffalo Bills looked sharp on Sunday. Rex Ryan has the defense in midseason form, but all everyone keeps talking about is QB Tyrod Taylor. Taylor was a back up last season and made his first career start Sunday. He continued his preseason tear as the Bulls went on to shock the Indianapolis Colts with a victory.
According to ESPN, Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul lost several fingers in that 4th of July fireworks accident, not just one. Playing this season might not be realistic.
Do you think these plays were dirty?
Cincinnati Bengals CB Adam “Pacman” Jones could be facing a fine after ripping off the helmet of Oakland Raiders rookie WR Amari Cooper, then slamming the back of his head onto the helmet.
Amari says Pacman shouldn’t be suspended From CSN Bay Area:
“I don’t think he should be suspended,” Cooper said. “We were just playing physical. I should’ve been playing physical. Honestly, I didn’t even know I hit my head on the helmet.”
Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had a reputation while with his former team – the Detroit Lions – as being a dirty player. Sunday that notion was brought up again after a play during Dolphins vs. Washington Redskins appeared to show Suh kicking the helmet off redskins’ running back Alfred Morris. Suh won’t face discipline from the NFL after review.
According to Fox Sports, Miami Dolphins teammates LaMike James and Jarvis Landry had a locker room altercation last week. Both apologized to each other and the team. And then Landry had a monster game Sunday. Things happen in the locker room, and if they can get resolved in the same space, teams go back to the business of football rather quickly.
Injuries are a part of the game and they happened in Week 1:
– Redskins receiver DeSean Jackson will miss several weeks with a hamstring injury.
– The Baltimore Ravens have lost Terrell Suggs for the season after he suffered a torn Achilles.
– The Dallas Cowboys lose Dez Bryant for four to six weeks after he broke his foot during play. It will require surgery and is reportedly the same injury that Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant has been battling the last two seasons.
I forgot to post my week one picks. I tweeted my afternoon picks Sunday. I did pretty well
I forgot to put up my picks this AM, but here there are for the late games: Cardinals, Bolts, Broncos, Bengals, Buccs, Cowboys — Jill Munroe (@StilettoJill) September 13, 2015
My picks for Monday Night Football, I went with my head instead of my heart and was wrong on both accounts.
Having said that, week 2 starts Thursday, there’s always time to get on track. Welcome back NFL