While the Clippers players move on to the second round of the NBA playoffs following an exciting game seven against the Golden State Warriors, the franchise is still coming together following the lifetime ban of estranged owner Donald Sterling. The NBA announced on Saturday that it would be appointing a CEO to take over those duties while the process of officially removing Sterling from owning the team is handled.
The new executive, who has not yet been named, will be tasked with “supervising the team’s operations,” according to a press statement. USA Today Sports reports that longtime Clippers president Andy Roeser will remain with the organization “for now” and that he and the rest of the organization will report to the new boss.
“The best way to ensure the stability of the team during this difficult situation is to move quickly and install a CEO to oversee the Clippers organization,” a league spokesman said. “The process of identifying that individual is underway.”
Sterling’s wife Shelly has been sticking closely to the team, and some believe she is trying to find a way to remain in control of the team, all though there are indications that the league wants the team completely removed from the Sterling family. She issued the following statement on Saturday as well.
“I spoke with Commissioner Adam Silver last week to tell him that I fully supported his recent swift and decisive action,” Sterling said. “We also agreed at that time that, as a next step, both the league and the team should work together to find some fresh, accomplished executive leadership for the Clippers. I welcome his active involvement in the search for a person of the utmost character, proven excellence and a commitment to promoting equality and inclusiveness. As a co-owner, I am fully committed to taking the necessary steps to make the Clippers the best team in the NBA. That has been my aspiration ever since 1981.”