New York Knicks point guard Derrick Rose and two of his friends will begin a civil trial on October 3 in Los Angeles. The case stems from an ex-acquaintance who accused the trio of drugging her, breaking into her apartment and sexually assaulting her. Monday, the Los Angeles Police Department confirmed that there is also an open criminal investigation of the alleged August 2013 incident.
The judge presiding over the civil case recently ruled that the alleged victim will not be able to conceal her identity during the trial. Rose’s lawyer, Mark Baute filed the request after “Jane Doe” gave a series of interviews that Baute described as a media tour “bashing” Rose.
Detective, Nadine Hernandez argues that maintaining the victim’s anonymity “is an invaluable investigative aid to investigators.” The department plans to maintain her anonymity “throughout the criminal investigation being handled by the Los Angeles Police Department.”
Jane Doe’s attorney, Brandan Anand is now asking the judge to reconsider his ruling in light of the LAPD’s letter.
Baute had alleged that Anand was lying about an active criminal investigation in order to extort a settlement from Rose. Baute argued that the claim of an active criminal investigation was false and represented a violation of rules of professional conduct for attorneys.
Last week, Knicks President Phil Jackson said the upcoming gang rape trial is “not keeping [Rose] up at night.” Jackson also said the Knicks were “not concerned” about the allegations.
During Monday’s media day, Rose addressed the questions head on, making it clear that he’s innocent and isn’t concerned about the the possibility of a criminal charge.
Derrick Rose says of his civil case that he will be found innocent. “I felt like I didn’t do anything wrong.”
— Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) September 26, 2016