Add Alvin Gentry to the pile of discarded NBA coaches this season. Gentry was let go on Friday morning. The Suns current record was 13-28 and the team has only won two of their last 15 games including a loss to the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday. During Gentry’s time with the team his overall record was 335-370. He became the interim head coach in 2009 after Terry Porter was fired. In 2010 he took the team to the 2010 Western Conference Finals.
Gentry was in the final year of his deal and is owed $1.2 million.
Random sports fact about the Bucks win on Thursday, it was the first time the Bucks had won in Phoenix since 1987. That’s 26 years ago. Let’s take a look at what was happening in pop culture in 1987.
- The New York Giants won the Superbowl
- The Lakers were the NBA champions
- The Cosby Show and A Different World were top five TV shows
- At the movies, “Lethal Weapon,” “Robocop,” and “Hollywood Shuffle”
- The top rap albums out, Eric B. & Rakim “Paid in Full,” BDP “Criminal Minded,” Public Enemy “Yo bum rush the show” and of course I have to drop a West Coast favorite for you, NWA “NWA and the Posse,” and Ice T “Rhyme Pays”
- Top pop hits, Bon Jovi “Living on a prayer,” Whitney Houston “I wanna Dance with somebody” and one of my favorite throwbacks, The System “Don’t disturb this groove”